A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

BASILISK (14) Gun-brig Built in 1801, Rotherhithe.
Sold in 1815.

  • 1801 Lieut. S. GOOCH. Channel. Serving under Capt. CUNNINGHAM in CLYDE who was Senior Officer between Le Havre and the Ile de Bas.
  • On 16 August 1801 BASILISK and BLOODHOUND were anchored on station between Barfleur and Marcou and saw two brigs and seventeen gunvessels trying to round Cape Barfleur. Lieut. GOOCH signalled to Capt. DONNELLY of CLYDE who took advantage of a light breeze to close with them. The enemy ran into a bay to the westward of the cape and anchored close in to the beach under cover of a battery and some field pieces. BASILISK and BLOODHOUND followed them in, anchored in two fathoms within 18 pounder range and maintained a spirited cannonade. CLYDE found it impossible to approach within range of her 12-pounders and signalled the others to retire. Later when the tide flooded the enemy weighed and rowed round the lighthouse, the three British vessels being unable to follow due to the wind and tide. When the enemy were not to be found in Isigny, nor within La Hogue, Capt. CUNNINGHAM concluded that they had run back to Cherbourg.
  • 1803 Lieut. William SHEPHEARD. In May, as part of the defence of the Thames Estuary against threats of invasion BASILISK and CONFLICT were stationed in Westgate Bay. Along with the sloop DILIGENCE at Margate and the block-ship TEXEL, they were responsible for guarding Margate Roads. By July she was stationed off Dunkirk with LYNX and the schooner MILLBROOK.
  • During the winter of 1803-4 Lieut. SHEPHEARD commanded a detachment of 3 brigs and a cutter which comprised the whole blockading force between Boulogne and Ostend in the absence of the frigates. At daylight on 18 December 1803 he chased a lugger off Calais and at noon came up with and captured the French national gunboat No. 436 armed with one brass 18-pounders and a howitzer. She was commanded by Ensign de Vaisseau Lewis Sautoin with seven sailors and 27 soldiers of the 36 regiment of the line under a captain. She had sailed for Boulogne from Dunkirk the day before. Lieut. SHEPHEARD removed to Earl St. VINCENT cutter.
  • 1805 Lieut. George HIGGS.
  • 1808 Lieut. G. BALFOUR, Leith Roads.
  • 1809 Lieut. S. CREW, North Sea.
  • On 13 April 1809 BASILISK and PINCHER took the Danish privateer JONGE ANNA CATHERINA.
  • 1810 Ditto, Cadiz.
  • 1811 Lieut. VALLACK, with the British squadron at Cadiz.
  • On 15 April a Spanish force left Cadiz to join Beresford at the approaching siege of Badajos and communications were maintained by the small vessels of the British squadron. Lieut. VARRACK and his boat's crew were all killed trying to cross the bar of the Guadiana River on this service.
  • 1812 Lieut. George FRENCH, 07/1811, Mediterranean. When TERMAGANT destroyed the castle at Nersa the guerillas came down from the mountains and entered the town. The French, 300 strong, retreated to Almunecar, 7 miles to the eastward, and on 20 May HYACINTH, Capt. USHER, BASILISK and TERMAGANT anchored at point-blank range of the castle there to assist the land forces in the attack. BASILISK opened and supported a well-directed fire on the enemy while the two sloops were heaving in their springs to bring their broadsides to bear.
    The castle was silenced in an hour but there was no sign of the guerillas and, after waiting for another hour, an officer returned to Nersa in a gig to see what had happened. He reported that the guerillas were waiting for reinforcements before they advanced. Meanwhile the French had set up a howitzer in a breach in the fortifications which had to be silenced before Capt. USHER could return to Nersa. Here he arranged to take the infantry back by sea to join up with the seamen and the marines while the cavalry took the mountain road to Almunecar.
    When the French learned of these movements they abandoned Almunecar and retreated upon Grenada. Capt. USHER started demolishing the defensive works and exploding mines to fill up the moat. BASILISK had one man slightly wounded.
  • On 24 May 1812 with HYACINTH and TERMAGANT she took a French privateer with a brass cannon. Gunvessel No. 437, mounting one brass 18 pounder and a howitzer, was captured off Bologna on 13 December.
  • George FRENCH re-commissioned BASILISK as a commander in May 1813.
  • From the spring of 1814 BASILISK, commanded by Lieut. ANSTRUTHER, was used as a tender between Dublin and Plymouth.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips