Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
Back from the Dead
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Back from the Dead Reply with quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8737661/Conditions-in-Nelsons-navy-uncovered-by-scientists.html

I have no access to C4 from Belgium, I would like some opinion on the documentary.
@+P
brian

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter!

I missed it too, but have just see it on the web by typing in 'Channel Four Back from the Dead' on Google. Give it a try.
I thought the programme very good both in terms of background and of the conclusions reached on the small sample of bones examined, especially those showing signs of battle injuries. Although the programme's publicists tried to do so, it is not possible to extrapolate too widely from these results as only 300 odd bones were available for the whole study (so is was a very small sample); the investigators had no personal details nor precise dates for the remains which come from a sixty year period; and, being from the minority who were unfortunate enough to die of their conditions, the subjects did not represent a fair sample of the whole seagoing population.

Brian
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas the website is geoblocked so I can't see the documentary but from what I read from the article, I too believe that the sample is completely irrelevant from a statistical point of view.

There probably were 500.000 people involved for the period and so 300 bones are just anecdotic.

From the Ayshford Trafalgar Roll (20.000 people) I can say that the most common ailments were ulcers (probably related to scorbut and leading to many amputations and death) then come fevers (probably typhus and yellow fever).
And a lot of broken bones, venereals and tuberculosis.

Most of the death occured on board and not in hospitals, and burials performed at sea except for admirals pickled in spirit. Wink

And I can't see from where they can conclude that RN crew were middle-class.

@+ Patrick
Redfish

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMarione wrote:
Alas the website is geoblocked so I can't see the documentary"

There are (I believe actually legal) ways to solve your problem. Browse the internet for programs that hide your IP, like "hide my IP" or "hide my ass".

Danni
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A book on the attitudes of Anglo-American mariners toward death, the dead, and commemoration :
The Sea Their Graves: An Archaeology of Death and Remembrance in Maritime Culture by David J. Stewart, University Press of Florida, 2011
ISBN 13: 978-0-8130-3734-9

http://www.upf.com/book.asp?id=STEWA001
Dmitry

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can watch the program here - http://www.videozer.com/video/EffM

The orthopedic surgeon that is featured as an expert, didn't impress me.
He said that Dr.Robert Liston was able to hack a limb off in 2 1/2 minutes. Many-many surgeons could do that, and butchers even faster. Liston was actually able to remove a limb in mere seconds.
Next, he pronounced a fracture of a mandible caused by a cutlass, whereas there is absolutely no evidence of trauma, just signs of infection from a rotten tooth, which healed long before that person died. I am a dentist, so I know what I'm talking about. Smile
The program is quite OK on a whole, if viewed in light of lack of critical standards in television today. Call me a grouch...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1