Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
British Naval rules and Regulations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob53

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: British Naval rules and Regulations Reply with quote

Is there information available regarding the rules that governed the Navy of this time. Ex: The number of "sideboys" for an Admiral, or How the commanding officer left the ship?
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of RN customs were unwritten.

There were "the articles of war" regulating the law on board. A copy of the 1749 issue is at http://www.io.com/gibbonsb/articles.html
Then were also printed the "Regulations and Instructions Relating to His Majesty's Service at Sea".
Flag officers issued "standing orders" for their fleets and squadron and private captains had "order books" for their ship.

http://www.hmsrichmond.org/ is an interesting website (they apparently reenact naval stuff from the period) but close the sound of you PC before entering the site or you'll end deaf or with a hearth attack!
carronade02

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Naval Regulations Reply with quote

I have access to .pdf copies of the 1790 Naval Regs if you are interested, there are 5 blocks of 50 pages each, around 1.5meg per block.
Cheers
bob53

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most definitely. Where are they? I have many .pdf files that I have burned to a CD to save file space. Mainly books written by Marryrat and ours, as well as the Naval Chronicles that are available. Thank you.
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to John (carronade02) I have added the book on the website:
http://www.ageofnelson.org/Document12.html

I just read it again. I had forgotten how interesting it is.
@+P
bob53

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, John (carronade02)
I started reading them, and found them to be very interesting. I had forgotten about the f symbol being used as an s. Answers a lot of questions I had.
Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1