Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
John Clavell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johns

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: John Clavell Reply with quote

Just in case anyone is interetsed, since my posting last yr about John, I have been going all out to get some more answers about Johns injuries at Trafalgar. However, sadly nothing exists.

I got a researcher to check through the Greenwich Hospital records, but nothing was there apart from his date of death. (probably due to the fact he was a Pensioner & member of staff though)

We checked the Lloyds registers, but again apart from the £50 award he received there was nothing there.

I have contacted 2 authors on Trafalgar, and have been pointed towards a book on Collingwood, which was written shorly after his death, which contains his letters - some of which to Clavell, but again nothing!

It was suggested by TNA Naval Expert Bruno that there may be something in the Royal Sovereign surgeons logs...I highly doubt it though.

All in all pretty unsuccessful, but at least I have found out a bit more about him, and love Naval history even more!
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep trying!

If he was wounded at Trafalgar, have you tried Gibraltar.

@+P
johns

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to say that I haven't tried Gibraltar yet. What kind of records should I be looking there for?

I have wanted to do some Gibraltar research on another side of the family, so perhaps this is the perfect time
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Ayshfords' research I know that there exist records from the hospital.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1