Link to the related website that has useful info: the Age of Nelson.

This forum is devoted to the Royal Navy during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793 - 1815).
And why not the other navies of the period?
To avoid spam, you must register to be able to post - it's free.

FAQ         Register         Profile         Search         Log in to check your private messages         Log in
top 10 Nelson books
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: top 10 Nelson books Reply with quote

To mark HN 250th birthday, two historians single out the 10 best books:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/sep/29/books.top.10s.nelson

I would add "Nelson's Purse" by Martyn Downer.

Other books suggestions?

@+P
alexlitandem

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,

Your addition of Martyn's book is very well-judged indeed.

If it is not `cheating' in response to your question - and in part triggered by your own reference to `Nelson's Purse' - I would first commend the Sotheby's Sale Catalogue itself, "Nelson:The Alexander Davison Collection" [21 October, 2002].

That ranks, for me, certainly as highly in interest, thought-provocation, and sheer enjoyment, as many other tomes on HN. And,of course, is the perfect complement to `Nelson's Purse'.

Secondly, and in part justifying my suggestion via reference to the fact that CW's book is included by Roy and Lesley on their list, I would strongly urge anyone who really wants to hear, feel, sense, touch and be touched by Nelson... to look no further than the seven volumes of his letters and despatches offered by Nicolas.

Happy birthday H.
PMarione
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sotheby's catalogue is really great.

I agree with you: CW book is very disappointing, specially after all the fuss he had made about a new edition of HN letters.
He probably didn't find an editor ready to take the risk.

So Nicolas remains the reference. It has been re-edited in paperback at an affordable price.

@+P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ageofnelson.org Forum Index -> Age of Nelson All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1