A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

ASTRAEA (36) Built in 1810, Northam.
Hospital ship in 1823.

  • 1810 Capt. Charles Marsh SCHOMBERG, 07/1810, fitting out for Cape of Good Hope. She sailed for that station with Rear Ad. STOPFORD in SCIPION (74).
    ASTRAEA and PHOEBE were detached to reinforce the squadron off Mauritius where Capt. SCHOMBERG continued for some time as senior officer in the absence of Capt. BEAVER of NISUS.
  • On the morning of 20 May 1811 he gave orders to PHOEBE, GALATEA and RACEHORSE to chase after three French frigates, with troops on board, which had been sighted off Foul Point, Madagascar. The enemy managed to keep to windward all day and when they opened fire at long range in the evening the French produced a calm to leeward that rendered the British squadron unmanageable for three hours. The enemy van and centre ships, preserving a light air, managed to round the quarters of PHOEBE and GALATEA raking them for a considerable time. When a light breeze sprang up GALATEA, after losing her mizzen and fore-top-masts, was unable to put her head towards the enemy, so ASTRAEA, the already damaged PHOEBE and RACEHORCE wore and headed for the enemy. After 25 minutes in which she attempted to lay ASTAEA athwart hawse under a heavy fire of grape and musketry, the commodore's frigate, the RENOMMEE, struck and Lieuts, ROYER and Drury (RM) of ASTRAEA with five men were put aboard her. Another frigate, the CLORINDE, first made a signal that she was striking but then tried to escape. The British ships in their disabled state were unable to catch her. The third frigate, the NEREIDE, much damaged by PHOEBE, escaped to Tamatave where she surrendered, with the port and the garrison to Capt. SCHOMBERG on 25 May together with the late garrison, a detachment of the 22nd regiment who had been held prisoner.
    ASTRAEA lost seamen John WILLIAMS and Richard WHARTON, killed and Mr John BALDWIN, the first lieutenant, 11 seamen, 3 marines and 1 boy wounded. Medals were awarded to all four ships in 1849.
    The French frigates were carrying 200 troops on board. RENOMMEE lost 145 killed and wounded and NEREIDE 130. CLORINDE escaped to France, arriving in Brest on 24 September. Her commander was sentenced to three years imprisonment; Napoleon would have shot him but he was tried by naval officers.
  • Capt. SCHOMBERG repaired the NEREIDE and with the fever-ridden garrison of Tamatave on board escorted her to Mauritius.
    When Capt. BEAVER died in April 1813 Capt. SCHOMBERG removed to NISUS.
  • 1813-1814 Capt. John EVERLEIGH.
    Under the orders of Capt. MACKENZIE in CREOLE, ASTRAEA sailed from Spithead with VOLONTAIRE and convoyed the latter to Lisbon. The two frigates then cruised off Palma for three or four days before making for Teneriffe and circumnavigated the Canary islands. They reached the coast of Africa at Senegal, watered at Goree then steered for the Cape Verde Islands, making the island of Maio on the morning of 23 January 1814.
    As they rounded the S. E. end they discovered two frigates at anchor with some other vessels, one a large transport. The two British ships cleared for action. CREOLE fired about 3 broadsides then ASTRAEA ran between her and her opponent, lay alongside and poured in three destructive broadsides which completely silenced her for a time. She then made for the commodore's ship, crossed his bow and raked him. Unfortunately at this moment ASTRAEA's wheel was shot away, both quarter masters were killed, and she fell off. With the muzzles of the enemy guns nearly touching the taffrail it was ASTRAEA's turn to receive broadsides which took away her lower rigging, ripped up the deck and burst one of the carronades. With no damage forward ASTRAEA had managed to get starboard to starboard exchanging broadsides at very close range when her captain received a pistol shot below the heart. Two hours later her opponent put her helm up and sailed off. That evening the two British ships anchored in Porto Prayo on St. Jago. After repairs they searched in vain for the enemy before sailing to Sierra Leone
  • 1815 Capt William BLACK, Spithead.
  • 1816 Out of commission at Plymouth.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips