A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

HORATIO (44) Built in 1807, Bursledon (built of fir).
Sold in 1865.

  • 1808 Capt. George SCOTT, 06/1807, Halifax.
    In February 1809 ASP and SUPERIEURE discovered and chased a French 40-gun frigate, the latter pursuing into the hands of Capt. SCOTT who, on 10 February, fought a gallant action with the frigate JUNON off the Virgin Is.
    After three hours the LATONA, which had previously been chasing the Frenchman, arrived within pistol shot and JUNON, after losing her fore and mizzen-masts, surrendered. HORATIO lost 7 men killed and 26 wounded including Capt. SCOTT, who had previously been deprived of his first lieutenant. The captain was badly wounded in the shoulder by grape shot and was obliged to leave the ship in the hands of Lieut. Hon. George DOUGLAS. In the early part of the conflict JUNON attempted to disable HORATIO so her masts and rigging were badly damaged. JUNON was in a very leaky state after receiving a number of shot holes low down in the hull and had 130 killed and wounded including the commander, Capt. Rousseau, who died of his wounds. She was taken into the Royal Navy under the same name but, under the command of Capt. John SHORTLAND, she was recaptured by RENOMMEE and CLORINDE on 13 December the same year and Capt. SHORTLAND lost his life.
  • Naval medals were awarded in 1849 to the survivors belonging to HORATIO and SUPERIEURE.
    The latter vessel, although pierced for fourteen guns, had only four on board.
    DRIVER closed before the end of the battle, but took no part.
    Capt. SCOTT received a pension of 250 pounds per annum, which was later increased to 300 pounds.
    He had to resign command of ASIA five years later due to the incessant pain from the wound.
  • On 21 February 1810 HORATIO captured the NECESSITE after a long chase and a running action of one hour. She was pierced for 40 guns, but only mounted 28, and had a complement of 186 men. She was carrying a cargo of naval stores and provisions from Brest to Mauritius.
    There were no casualties on either side.
  • 1811 Capt. Lord George STUART, 09/1810, Heligoland.
    Off Flushing in the autumn. While running down the coast of Norway on 1 August 1812, a small sail was seen from the masthead, close inshore.
    Before she disappeared among the rocks she as identified as an armed cutter.
    The barge and three cutters, under the command of the first lieutenant, Abraham Mills HAWKINS and assisted by Lieut. Thomas MASTERS, Mr James CRISP, master's mate, Mr William HUGHES, boatswain, Mr Thomas FOWLER, midshipman, Mr James LARENS, ass.
    surgeon, and 1st. Lieut. George Syder, RM, was sent after her and, on the morning of the 2nd, she was found 35 miles up a fiord with a schooner and a large ship.
    When the boats approached on a strong tide they presented broadsides with springs on their cables.
  • One boat under Mr CRISP was sent to disperse some armed men on the shore, then all the boats pulled through a heavy fire to carry the three enemy vessels.
    The losses were severe and roughly equal on either side.
    Mr Syder was killed in the act of boarding and Mr LARENS soon after died of his wounds.
    Both lieutenants were severely wounded in the right arm and Mr HUGHES and Mr FOWLER were also severely wounded.
    In addition eight men were killed and one died of wounds, ten were wounded, seven of them severely.
    The prizes were schooner No 114 of six 6-pounders and 30 men, cutter No 97 of four 6-pounders and 22 men, and an American ship of about 400 bm, their prize.
    The Danes had Ten killed and thirteen wounded
  • Lieut. HAWKINS was promoted to commander on 12 December 1812 and received a pension for his wounds in September 1813.
  • On 7 December 1813 HORATIO and AMPHION were in the East Scheldt off the Island of Schouwen when some pilots brought off a letter from a gentleman who had been in the British service, requesting aid to drive the French out of Zierikzee.
    Capt. STUART worked up and anchored just out of reach of a heavy battery which commanded the passage.
    He then made preparations to attack the battery by gathering 50 marines and 70 seamen from HORATIO and the same number from AMPHION with a determination to storm from the rear as soon as the tide served at about nine PM
    During the interval a deputation came on board from the French General asking that the French troops should be allowed to withdraw to Bergen-op-Zoom with their baggage.
    Capt. STUART rejected this and demanded unconditional surrender as prisoners of war.
    He landed at the battery and, when this was secure, proceeded into the town to meet the Dutch magistrates.
    The following day the magistrates of Browershaven reported that they had driven the French out and were joining a provisional Dutch government.
    He took possession of a 14-gun-brig formerly his Majesty's brig BUSTLER which the enemy had tried to scuttle.
    Sixteen guns, including 36 and 24-pounders, were captured.
  • He received information that the French had reinforced the island of Tholen with 400 men and this made it necessary for the battery at the point of Steavinesse to be secured before the ships could pass up the Keeten.
    At 10 PM on the evening of the the 9th. the boats of HORATIO and AMPHION with only the boat's crews aboard were sent to land about two miles in the rear of the battery and when they sighted them the French immediately fled. Lieuts. WHYTE of HORATIO and CHAMPION of AMPHION dismantled the battery of six 24-pounders, spiked the guns and returned on board at half past three the next morning.
  • Capt. STUART was soon after appointed to NEWCASTLE (58), built to cope with the large American frigates.
  • 1814 Capt. William DILLON, 01/1814, to Halifax, where she served in the Davies Strait.
    When she returned home Capt. DILLON became senior officer on the Guernsey station in 1815.
    Sailing from Guernsey to watch Cherbourg she struck a rock in the Little Russel Passage and stripped away 25 feet of her main keel leaving her timbers exposed.
    Although she was making eight inches of water a minute, she managed to make it back to Portsmouth.
    After repair she returned to watch Cherbourg, in case Buonaparte attempted to escape through there after Waterloo.
  • 1816 East Indies, visiting India and China. She was ordered home at the end of the year and paid off at the beginning of 1817.
  • 1818 Out of commission at Deptford.
    In 1846 she was steam guardship at Sheerness.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips