A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

HYACINTH (26) Built in 1806, Yarmouth.
Broken up in 1820.

  • 1806 Capt. John DAVIE, 10/1806.
    (The previous January he had been captured by a French squadron while in command of FAVORITE.
    Although he was soon returned to England he had to wait until he was exchanged for an officer of similar rank before taking up a new appointment.) North Sea station. She was subsequently sent with dispatches to Rio de Janeiro, where Capt. DAVIE removed into FOUDROYANT.
  • 1810 Capt. John CARTER, Brazil.
  • 1811 Capt. Thomas USSHER.
    HYACINTH escorted a convoy to the Mediterranean and then joined the squadron defending Cadiz.
  • In the spring of 1812 HYACINTH was sent to put down several fast vessels, commanded by one Barbastro, which were operating as privateers from Malaga Although she was disguised as a merchantman HYACINTH did not deceive the privateers, nor did she have the speed to chase them, so Capt. USHER requested GOSHAWK, RESOLUTE and a gunbrig to be put under his orders.
    Finding that the privateers were in harbour he organised the boats of his small squadron to attack them.
  • HYACINTH's gig and pinnace with Capt. USSHER, Lieut. Thomas HASTINGS and 26 men to attack a battery of fifteen long 24-pounders.
    Her barge with Lieut. Francis SPILSBURY and John ELGAR, purser, and 24 men to attack a battery of four 24-pounders opposite the above.
  • Capt. LILBURNE of GOSHAWK with 40 men in Lieut. CULL's gunboat to attack the chief privateer BRAAVE and all the other boats under Lieut. KEENAN to board the other privateers.
  • The attack took place on the evening of 29 April.
    Capt. USHER and his party went in ahead and took possession of the batteries in less than five minutes.
    A rocket signal then brought in the gunboat and the other boats and Mr PIERCE, midshipman, and 12 men boarded and secured the BRAAVE, Barbastro and all but 33 of his crew jumping overboard.
    Capt. LILBURNE pushed on into the main body of privateers while Capt. USSHER turned the battery guns on the castle of Gibralfaro until he ran out of powder.
    The French 57th. regiment lined the mole and opened a heavy musket fire at close range as the prizes were brought out and they also came under a furious cannonade from the castle.
    When the wind died away, Capt. LILBURNE received a mortal wound and the attacking forces were depleted by having 15 killed and 53 wounded, it was with the utmost difficulty that they could bring out two prizes, BRAAVE and NAPOLEON, both of 10 guns, the remainder were damaged as much as possible.
    An eagle presented to Barbastro by Napoleon was found on his vessel.
    The gunboat sank during her return passage to Gibraltar.
    Lieut. SPILSBURY was among the wounded and Mr BELL, the boatswain, lost his arm.
  • On 20 May 1812 HYACINTH, operating with guerillas along the coast of Granada, destroyed the castle at Nerja near Malaga.
    The French garrison retired eastwards along the coast to Almunecar followed by HYACINTH. She silenced the fortress there and destroyed a small privateer, one of Barbastro's vessels with 2 guns and 30 or 40 men.
    The enemy then erected a howitzer in a breach and it took three hours to drive them out to take refuge in the town.
    Capt. USSHER had fitted a fire-boat to burn the shipping in the harbour but, after considering the sufferings of the Spaniards under French occupation, he decided not to use it.
  • He then returned to Nerja to collect a raiding force of 200 guerillas under Col. Febrien.
    A delay due to calm weather gave the French time to learn of the planned attack and they retired to Granada leaving the whole coast open between Malaga and Cape de Gata.
    Lieut. SPILSBURY, whose wound from 20 April was still open, went ashore with a Spanish officer to hoist the two flags above the castle at Almunecar and they then began to demolish the works.
  • HYACINTH was re-fitting at Gibraltar in August 1812 when Capt. USHER learnt that America had declared war on Great Britain.
    He sailed at once and, by 6 September, he was able to report to Vice Ad. PELLEW that all the American merchant vessels making their way down the Mediterranean had been taken by British cruisers.
    He joined Capt. SIBLEY in BLOSSOM off Malaga on 1 September and learnt from the Governor that the French had retreated after blowing up the castle of Gibralfaro.
    The two captains went ashore to a enthusiastic welcome from the inhabitants.
  • Capt. USSHER was appointed to the EUYALUS in November and Capt. William HAMILTON took command.
  • 1814 A. R. SHARPE, Mediterranean.
  • 1815 Ditto, Deptford
  • 1816 Ditto, Spithead.
  • 1817-18 ditto, Brazil.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips