Built in 1804, Woolwich.
Wrecked in 1810.
- 1804 Capt. G. E. HAMMOND, Mediterranean.
On 2 October LIVELY joined Capt. Graham MOORE in INDEFATIGABLE off Cadiz.
MEDUSA and AMPHION joined them the following day.
On the morning of the 5th. four sail were sighted off Cape St. Mary and they were soon discovered to be large Spanish frigates which formed line of battle and maintained a course for Cadiz.
Capt. MOORE called on them to shorten sail saying that he had orders to detain them but they opened fire and soon a close battle developed.
Soon one of the enemy, the MERCEDES, blew up (see AMPHION) and two of the others struck, the CLARA to LIVELY.
The Spanish Commodore in FAMA attempted to escape pursued by MEDUSA and appeared to have the heels of her so Capt. MOORE ordered LIVELY to join and with her superior sailing she soon caught up with the Spaniard.
LIVELY had two men killed and four wounded.
- The CLARA was carrying on the account of the Spanish king: 75 sacks of wool, 20 sacks and chests of cascarilla, 1666 bars of tin, 571 pigs of copper and 234,694 dollars in silver; and on account of merchants: 622,400 gold reduced to dollars.
- 1807 Capt. George M'KINLEY.
On the evening of 19 November 1807 LIVELY was in heavy weather some 450 miles S. W. of Cape Clear when a merchant brig was seen to leeward, the crew and passengers making signals of distress.
The first lieutenant, Mr Rowland MONEY launched the jolly boat and after making three trips under the stern of the brig managed to bring off her crew.
It proved impossible to bring the jolly boat alongside LIVELY and her crew and the rescued seamen had to be hauled over the taffrail from the sea.
The boat was then cut adrift.
- In the spring of 1809 LIVELY was operating off the coast of Galicia.
On 7 March French troops entered the towns of of Carril and Villagarcia in the mouth of the River Arosa and killed a few old men and women before retreating to Padron.
Two days later when eight infantry and four cavalry from Pontivedra entered Marin the came under fire from LIVELY, PLOVER and a carronade in a launch.
The commanding officer on a horse and the cavalry made good their escape, followed by the foot soldiers, but a captain and a lieutenant who could not run as fast were captured by the Spaniards and handed over to LIVELY.
- Capt. M'KINLEY left PLOVER at Marin and took LIVELY to Villagarcia on the 11th.
While there he received a letter from Capt. CRAWFORD of VENUS saying that the local peasantry were besieging the town and castle of Vigo and he thought that another frigate would contribute to the surrender of the fortress.
LIVELY arrived at Vigo on the 23rd. and the next day the captain went to see the Spanish patriot leader Don Jose de Almadade Sanzo y Silva.
Negotiations for surrender continued until the 26th. when Don Pablo Murillo commanding a regular force of 1,500 men joined in.
The garrison capitulated the following day and a colonel, 45 officers and about 1300 men were embarked the next morning.
During the embarkation Don Murillo marched to attack a French force of 300 men coming to the relief of Vigo and took many prisoners.
- After the Spaniards had taken Santiago de Compostela the French united their forces from Lugo and Corunna amounting to 8,000 men and 2,500 cavalry obliging the Spaniards to fall back, first to Pontevedra and then to the bridge at San Payo.
On 6 June they asked Capt. M'KINLEY at Vigo for boats to cross the river, the bridge being broken.
He sent CADMUS and two schooners up the river with as many small boats as he could find, then went up to the bridge himself to see the French forces mass on the other side.
On his return on board LIVELY he sent his marines and 25 seamen ashore to the castle at Vigo.
- The following morning the French, under Marshal Ney, attacked but the Spaniards withstood the day long bombardment with great bravery.
On the 8th. the Spanish under Don Murillo forced the French to retreat and Ney fell back on Corunna on the 13th.
By the 20th. the enemy had abandoned Ferrol and Coruna.
- LIVELY was lost on the rocks near Point Coura, Malta, on 26 August 1810.
All the crew were saved.