A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

SAN JOSEF (12) Taken by Ad. Sir John JERVIS off Cape St. Vincent on 14 February 1797.
Broken up in 1849.

    NELSON, (see CAPTAIN) securing the captured SAN NICOLAS, ordered his soldiers of the 69th. regiment (acting as marines) to fire into the stern gallery of the SAN JOSEF when a fire of pistols or muskets opened from there. He then directed his men to board her and Capt. BERRY assisted him into the main chains. A Spanish officer looked over the quarter deck rail and said they had surrendered and a few minutes later NELSON was on the quarter deck accepting the sword of the Spanish captain.
  • 1797 Lisbon, before sailing to Plymouth for repair.
  • 1801 Lord NELSON.
  • On 28 January he received orders to place himself under Lord St. VINCENT's command and he sailed from Plymouth at 1 o'clock on 1 February and anchored in Torbay the following morning. (NELSON's daughter Horatia by Lady Hamilton was born on 30 January and he was preoccupied with this and with his bad eye.) Here, on 18 February, he received orders to hoist his flag in ST. GEORGE, leaving SAN JOSEF to Capt. WOLESLEY of ST. GEORGE.
  • Capt. William WORSLEY, 02/1801, Channel fleet. Flagship of Ad. Hon. W. CORNWALLIS.
  • On 9 January 1802 SAN JOSEF and ROYAL GEORGE came into Plymouth from Torbay to be paid six months wages.
  • On 15 April a deserter from SAN JOSEF broke into his sergeant's lodgings in Stonehouse, stole all his pay and prize money and got clear away. Following the Peace of Amiens on 27 March, SAN JOSEF was paid off and laid up in ordinary on 23 April; the greater part of her crew shipped themselves for various ports and many went away by long coach.
  • On 21 March 1803, when resumption of the war seemed likely, SAN JOSEF was ordered to be hauled down the harbour ready to be re-commissioned. Capt. Peter SPICER (acting), 04/1803, fitting out during May. Capt. John Tremayne RODD was then appointed as flag captain when Vice Ad. Sir Charles COTTON hoisted his flag.
  • On the night of 5 October SAN JOSEF came down to the lower moorings and the following morning went into Cawsand Bay. She sailed to join the fleet on the 12th.
  • On 27 December Ad. CORNWALLIS reported that gales had driven SAN JOSEF, VILLE DE PARIS and DREADNOUGHT between the Lizard and their correct station off Brest and on the 30th. they arrived in Torbay after experiencing dreadful weather. Men from the slaughterhouse at Plymouth were sent to Torbay to assist those there in providing fresh beef for the ships and lighters were taken up to supply them with beer. CORNWALLIS talked of getting to sea and resuming his station in a very few days and ordered the ships in Cawsand Bay to be got ready to join him.
  • He cleared Torbay at noon on the 1 January 1804 and was joined off Plymouth by NEPTUNE and COLOSSUS. The other vessels that were to have joined him the following day had to wait for wind. He was joined off Brest by some of the ships that had separated during the gale.
  • There was another severe gale on the 19th. which drove the squadron north off station. SAN JOSEF returned to Plymouth for bullocks in February and sailed again for the fleet on the 13th. The men, who had been 'knocked up' by hard duty and fatigue during the gales, had all recovered.
  • On 21 July Ad. CORNWALLIS returned to Plymouth for a refit, leaving Vice Ad. COTTON in command. Later in the year Vice Ad. COTTON shifted his flag to PRINCE while SAN JOSEF had a refit. He returned to his old flag ship on 15 December and the ship and yards were manned and his flag cheered as was run up to the fore-top-gallant mast-head.
  • 1805 Capt. Tristram Robert RICKETTS, Channel fleet, when Capt. RODD removed to INDEFATIGABLE. Capt. R. J. NEVE, acting, as flag-captain in October. He was later confirmed in command. In the autumn of 1807 SAN JOSEF went into Plymouth for repair.
  • 1809 Off the Scheldt. Her people assisted in manning gunboat No. 67 during the attack on Flushing between 8 and 15 August 1809 and four were wounded including Lieut. RUSSELL and Mr BURNSIDE, the surgeon.
  • 1810 C-in-C. Mediterranean. From 15 July strong gales forced the fleet from its station off Toulon. They sought shelter under Levant Island but were driven as far to the eastward as Villa Franca (Villefranche) before reaching the rendezvous off Cape Sicie to meet Capt. BLACKWOOD commanding the inshore squadron.
  • 1811 Capt. George M'KINLEY, 04/1811, who served on the Mediterranean and Channel stations until the death of the Admiral on 23 February 1812.
  • The following day the 66 year old Ad. Lord KEITH was appointed C. in C. Channel Soundings and ordered to repair to Spithead and hoist his flag in SAN JOSEF. Under his command he had 15 ships of the line, 14 frigates, 3 sloops, three gunbrigs and 3 hired cutters. Later on ill health prevented him going to sea and he spent much of his time ashore at Plymouth.
  • 1813 Capt. Henry BOUCHIER. In March SAN JOSEF was lying alongside the CAPTAIN, hulk, off the jetty-head at Plymouth, removing her stores before being docked and fitted out for the flag of Rear Ad. FOOTE in the Mediterranean. A fire broke out in the hulk on the 23rd. and, if the lashings had not been cut and hawsers got out to pull her clear, SAN JOSEF would have been burnt. Capt. BOUCHIER had already transferred his property and this was destroyed. (NELSON was flying his flag in CAPTAIN when he boarded and captured SAN JOSEF.)
  • Shortly after Capt. BOUCHIER was superseded when Rear Ad. Sir Richard KING replaced Rear Ad. FOOTE and Capt. William SREWART became flag captain. A shortage of men prevented the French fleet at Toulon from making any serious attempt to put to sea but, when the wind was favourable for returning to port, large squadrons would come out.
  • On 14 November 1813 fourteen ships of the line and seven frigates came out and when the wind suddenly shifted as they got outside Cape Sepet there were hopes that they could be brought to action. CALEDONIA, and later BOYNE and SAN JOSEF, opened fire on the WAGRAM (130) but neither of the 3-deckers could fetch her as the wind headed them off Point St. Marguerite. Lieut. Clarke, RM and Mr William CUPPAGE, signal midshipman, of the SAN JOSEF each lost a leg by one unlucky shot. (Mr CUPPAGE, who continued in the navy on the Jamaica and East India stations before being promoted post captain in 1830, received a pension of =AO. 5s. per annum in 1816.)
  • 1837 Gunnery training ship at Plymouth. Capt. John HANCOCK, 01/1837. Capt. Joseph TAYLER, 07/1838. Capt. Frederick BURGOYNE, 08/1841.
  • 184 Out of commission.

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips