A |  B |  C |  D |  E |  F |  G |  H |  I |  J |  K |  L |  M |  N |  O |  P |  Q |  R |  S |  T |  U |  V |  W |  X |  Y |  Z

Use quotes like in "Aboukir Bay" to search phrases.
Use * as a wildcard like in "Trafalg*".

STATELY (64) Built in 1784, Northam.
Broken up in 1814.

  • 1794 Flagship of Vice Ad. Sir Richard KING on the Newfoundland station.
    STATELY formed part of the squadron under Sir Keith ELPHINSTONE at the capture of the Cape of Good Hope in September 1795 and her seamen were employed in one of the naval battalions landed to assist the army.
    she was next ordered to take part in the reduction of Columbo but that place surrendered while she was still at Trincomalee.
    On her way back to the Cape she was obliged to put into St. Augustin's Bay, Madagascar, to land more than 100 seamen suffering from scurvy.
    The sick were accommodated in a tent village under the charge of Lieut. Henry VANSITTART.
    When they recovered STATELY arrived at the Cape in time to take part in the capture of a Dutch squadron in Saldanha Bay on 17 August 1796.
  • On 15 December 1798 STATELY sailed from St. Helena with 12 ships from Bengal and 6 whalers under convoy
  • 1799 Capt. J. W. SPRANGER. Sheerness.
    At the end of the year she was converted to a troopship.
  • 1800 armed en flute, Capt. SCOTT, 07/1799, Ireland. She returned to Portsmouth on 21 February.
    In April she sailed for the Mediterranean with troops and was employed there in the blockade of Genoa and Malta.
    In 1801 she took part in the landings at Aboukir Bay where Capt. SCOTT commanded the left wing of the boats.
    Four of her seamen were killed and Lieut. John BRAY and seven seamen were wounded during the disembarkation.
  • STATELY remained in the Mediterranean during the peace of Amiens and Capt. SCOTT removed to SUCCESS in August 1804.
    In the spring of 1805 she under repair and by October she was back in service as a warship and, commanded by Capt. George PARKER, stationed off the Texel.
    Later STATELY was sent to the Baltic where, on 22 March 1808, she and NASSAU fell in with the Danish PRINCE CHRISTIAN FREDERICK (74).
    After a running fight lasting nearly two hours the enemy surrendered but later grounded near the island of Zealand.
    When it was found impossible to get her off and the Danes were preparing their artillery, Lieut. David SLOANE burnt her after all the prisoners and wounded had been taken out.
    British losses were five killed and 44 wounded, including Lieut. COLE, Mr LEMON, boatswain, and Mr DAVIS, master's mate, of STATELY.
    The enemy lost fifty-five killed and eighty-eight wounded.
    Medals were awarded to the survivors in 1849.
  • 1808 Capt. CUMBERLAND, Spithead.
  • 1809 Capt. James Whitley Deans DUNDAS, 03/1809, until the end of the year.
    Flagship of Rear Ad. Thomas BERTIE on the Baltic station.
  • 1811 Capt. Edward Stirling DICKSON, employed in the defence of Cadiz.
    In the middle of February a military force consisting of a Portuguese regiment and more than 3,000 British troops was embarked on board STATELY, DRUID, COMUS, SABINE, TUSCAN, ELPHIRA, STEADY, REBUFF and transports.
    On the 22nd they were landed at Algeciras to attack the French rear.
    The Spanish General La Pena with 7,000 Spanish troops was in command but he watched from a distance while Thomas Graham and the British troops fought and defeated a whole French division, losing a quarter of their strength in the process.
  • When the Spanish General Ballasteros was hard pressed by the enemy in the vicinity of San Roque STATELY, COLUMBINE and TUSCAN were ordered to land a force under Col. Skerrett at Tariffa.
    This consisted of eight companies each from the 47th. and 87 regiments, seventy men from the 95th. and four pieces of light artillery.
  • They sailed from Cadiz on 11 October and landed on the 18th.
    The following day about 1,500 of the enemy attempted to move against Tariffa by means of the Lapina Pass but TUSCAN, Gunboat 14 and all STATELY's boats anchored close to the beach and kept up a continual firing during the night and forced them to retire.
  • General Ballesteros surprised an enemy corps on 5 November between Boros and Xeres, took 200 prisoners with their baggage and left many dead.
  • On 5 December 1811 Capt. DICKSON took DRUID, the THUNDER bomb and a number of gunboats under his orders to assist Col. Skerrett's 1,500 men who were now besieged in Tariffa by a French army of 10,000.
  • 1812 Capt. William STEWART, Cadiz.
  • 1

back  |  intro  |  home  |  contact

© 1995, 2007 Michael Phillips